January New Releases



It's a new year, a new start, and a whole bunch of new books coming out. I'm super excited about some of these, so let's get started.



An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
Release Date 1/8/19
Genre: Thriller, Mystery

  When Jessica signed up for a study conducted by Dr. Shields, she thought she would just have to answer some questions, collect her money, and that was that. But as the study furthers, the questions become more invasive and the sessions become outings where she is told what to wear and how to act. Jessica's paranoia grows as she feels like Dr. Shields knows what she's thinking and the study starts to blur into her reality and she can't distinguish the two. I am such a sucker for thrillers, but a lot kinda have the same song and dance, so I'm always excited when a thriller comes out that strays from the usual.


Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen McManus
Release Date:1/8/19
Genre: YA, Mystery, Contemporary

 Ellery has just moved in which her grandmother in Echo Ridge, a small town with a mysterious history. When her aunt was seventeen, she went missing, five years ago the homecoming queen was killed, and now someone has promised to make this year homecoming as dangerous as it was five years prior, and the threats are made legit when another girl goes missing. I truly enjoy Karen McManus's writing, I fell in love with One of Us is Lying, so I was already intrigued by this new book.

In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire
Release Date: 1/8/19
Genre: YA, Fantasy

 For one girl who would prefer to study rather than become a housewife, she finds a doorway to a world based off of logic and reason. When she learns that her time in this world is coming to a close, she makes a bargain that never plays out well. I've truly enjoyed the Wayward Children series, so I always look for the new one every year.



The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye
Release Date: 1/8/19
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery

In 1921, Alice James is currently on a cross-country train running from an illicit drug deal gone wrong to Oregon, somewhere she hopes no one knows her. She befriends Max, a black Pullman porter, who leads Alice to the Paragon Hotel, the only all-black hotel in the city that becomes her sanctuary. I have never heard of Lyndsay Faye, but the cover was gorgeous so I was tempted to at least read the synopsis and when I read that it was set in the 1920s (which is a part of my wheelhouse) I got super excited.


Circle of Shadows by Evelyn Skye
Release Date: 1/22/19
Genre: YA, Fantasy

Sora and Daemon are apprentice warriors of the Society of Taigas, where students are marked by the gods to be trained to protect the kingdom of Kichona. "Sora can move as silently as a ghost and hurl throwing stars with lethal accuracy. Her gemina, Daemon, can win any physical fight blindfolded and with an arm tied behind his back. " When they are about to graduate they try to prove themselves by infiltrating a group of mysterious soldiers. Honestly, I didn't need to read more than the first two sentences to be hooked on this book because of the main characters and they reminded me so much of one of my OTPs. I don't know if there will be a romance or not but if I can be reminded of my babies I'm okay.  

The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson
Release Date: 1/22/19
Genre: YA, Mystery, Contemporary

 Okay, so I've been trying to avoid mentioning sequels that you have to of read the first book, but I'm really excited about this book, hell I preordered the book and I almost never do that. But this is a dual perspective series about a girl named Stevie with a predilection for true crime and when she is admitted to Ellingham Academy, a school where the students can create their own curriculum based off of your strong suits, she is hellbent on solving the murder of a student and the disappearance of the Academy's founder's wife and child. There's true crime and it also was set in the 20s so I'm so so excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lock Every Door Review

Microphones and Murders Review

Murder Monday #7 The Parachute Murder