April New Releases

 It's April, which means springtime, which means reading some new books outside. I don't know if anyone else enjoys reading outside, but I'm kind of a sucker for it. So I'm super excited for being to read outside again, but more importantly, some of these new releases I am super stoked about.



Dread Nation- Justina Ireland
Release Date: 4.3.18
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Horror

This book is set during the American Civil War, but the soldiers start to come back from the dead and the tone of the country is changed completely. Our story follows Jane McKeene who was born two days before the "zombie apocalypse." This book has zombies, conspiracy theories, and so much greatness, I'm super excited.

Ash Princess- Laura Sebastian
Release Date: 4.24.18
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

At the age of six Theodosia's country was invaded and her mother, the Queen of Flame and Fury, was murdered. She has dealt with ten years of abuse from the Kaiser, pretending to be empty-headed and naive. However, when the Kaiser forces her to execute her last hope of rescue, Theo vows revenge. She decides to seduce and murder the Kaiser's son with assistance of a group of rebels, until she starts to develop feelings for him. First of all this sounds awesome and part of me wanted to write a BS revisionist history summary just cause the main character's name is Theodosia (yes I am a Hamilton junkie), but also can we just take a moment to appreciate the cover. I want that crown!

My Dear Hamilton- Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie
Release Date: 4.3.18
Genre: Historical Fiction

 So I feel like so many Hamilton stories are coming out since the boom of said musical and this epic novel is about the story of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton, however, Dray and Kamoie used "the thousands of pages of writings" and other original sources to tell Eliza story. I can't really say much more other than this is pretty much a biopic of Eliza, but with some elements of fiction to fill in the gaps (I haven't read it yet, so I'm just guessing here).


The Elizas- Sara Shepard
Release Date: 4.17.18
Genre: Mystery, Thriller

Okay I promise this isn't a Hamilton style TBR, but I like Sara Shepard, I liked Pretty Little Liars, and also the cover looks so awesome. But this book is about debut novelist Eliza Fontaine, who is found at the bottom of a hotel pool. Her family assumes it was another failed suicide attempt, but Eliza swears she was pushed. Eliza takes it upon herself to find her attacker and as the publication date for her novel draws closer, everyone close to her starts mixing up events from her novel with events from her life. But her novel is fiction, right?


My Lady's Choosing- Kitty Curran & Larissa Zageris
Release Date- 4.3.18
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance

Now, usually I don't freak out over romance books, for me I pick them up on overdrive for a whim, but this is one that breaks that mold. Now, the storyline itself might not be the strongest but AN ADULT CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE! I genuinely remember reading those books back in elementary school and holding a finger on the page prior so I could go back in case I died, but this just seems to be oddly nostalgic and I'm kinda excited. I don't want to go into the synopsis too much, because the story will change everytime you read it, but in this novel, you are the heroine in the 19th century at the start of the courtship season and who are you going to choose.


If We Had Known- Elise Juska
Release Date: 4.17.18
Genre: Adult Fiction

Single mother Maggie Daley prepares to send her only child off to college when she hears the terrible news of a mass shooting at their local mall. As everyone starts rushing to finds answers as to why it happened, Daley learns that the shooter was one of her students. He remembers him being an awkward young man, but someone who didn't really stick with her. When a blog hints at a dark essay the shooter had written for her class, Maggie is thrust into the center of the controversy. Did she overlook the red flags in the essay that could have prevented the shooting? With the rise of mass shootings and people trying to find the reason for it, this seems like a very intriguing book.

Lizzie- Dawn Ius
Release Date: 4.10.18
Genre: YA, LGBT, Contemporary

This is a retelling of the Lizzie Borden story, not a historical work. But 17 year old Lizzie is incredibly shy and stays in the kitchen as much as she can, dreaming of becoming a chef. Her parents force her to work at their B&B and Lizzie longs for a way to escape them and the blackout episodes she has been plagued with. And then she meets Bridget Sullivan, who starts working at the B&B as a maid Lizzie falls hard. When her parents start to lay the axe down on Lizzie, her episodes get worse, her instincts become less reliable, and she starts to feel like she's going mad. I'm not too familiar with the Lizzie Borden case so I'm not sure how accurate this will be in comparison, but I always love a retelling of something that isn't a fairy tale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lock Every Door Review

Microphones and Murders Review

Murder Monday #7 The Parachute Murder