Dark Places Review



 So to start out the year let's talk about Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. Now let me start by saying that this book is very dark, so if you are the person who doesn't want to hear about mass murders, this might be the book to skip.

  So our protagonist is Libby Day who survived "The Satan Sacrifice," where her mother and two sisters were killed by their brother Ben, allegedly. Twenty five years later, Libby is running out of money and the Kill Club, which is a society obsessed with true crime, is willing to pay her to talk at their con. She agrees but when she meets them, they all attack her about wrongfully accusing her brother of the murders. Libby decides to use these people for money as she talks to key people in the case: including her brother, who is in prison for life, and her deadbeat father Runner, as she tries to find the truth behind her family.

So one of the things that I love about this book is the change of perspectives. There are four different perspectives: Libby, Ben, their mother, and a mysterious character who I am not going to ruin, and the setting changes from the present day to the day before and day of the massacre. Another thing I love is that with Gillian's books is that you can determine how the book will end and what really happened based off of everything Gillian gives you and there aren't any random characters that pop up  in the end. One last thing, which this might be a spoiler, is that I like that this book doesn't really have too much romance. There is one romance that makes sense, but I'm glad Libby wasn't thrown into a relationship for the sake of it.

All in all, I gave this book a 5 star rating on Goodreads and I have really been enjoying Gillian Flynn's books so far. Thanks for reading this pretty short review of Dark Places. I'm just starting out with this and I'm trying not to spoil too much of the story in this review because I really recommend reading the book, but if you guys want to hear me talk about this book, spoilers and all, let me know in the comments, along with any other recommendations for books like Dark Places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lock Every Door Review

Microphones and Murders Review

Murder Monday #7 The Parachute Murder