People Like Us Review








Time for another YA mystery novel, and in case you guys couldn’t tell it’s one of my favorite genres. This book is fairly stereotypical to a lot of YA murder mysteries, the story/ murder takes place at protagonist’s school and usually they are connected to the victim or are implicated in the crime so they feel the urge to solve the case themselves, and of course they have a secret they must keep; but I still enjoyed it.
So this book revolves around Kay Donovan, a senior star soccer player at a private school, who ends up finding the body of a fellow student. As the police try to determine whether the girl’s death was either a suicide or something more nefarious, Kay gets an email from the dead sends Kay on a scavenger hunt to implicate who killed her, Kay not only teams up with Nola, a loner at her school, to help her with the coding in the scavenger hunt, but slowly starts to implicate herself in the girl’s death. Kay needs to keep up her scholarship, but also keep her secrets in the closet. All in all, this book was fairly darker than a lot of YA murder mysteries, but I still really enjoyed it. Also, there is some LGBT representation, so if you’re looking for that, there is some (I can’t speak on how well it’s portrayed because I kinda forgot there was some, but I did read this a couple of months ago)










Okay, time to discuss some SPOILERS: I didn’t really see the ending coming. It was a bit cliche behind the motive of “If I can’t have him no one can,” and it was a bit blah, but I always love the betrayer cliche and I was really interested in how Nola did it. Although the whole fake twin thing was weird, like why didn’t her parents say anything about how there was no twin, it felt like something from Pretty Little Liars, very dramatic but unrealistic. I did enjoy how much they kept pushing it towards Kay’s ex because I think throwing in the main character’s bias can throw off the reader in a good way. Most importantly, I really loved the end where Kay talks about the truth behind her brother’s death and how that REALLY went down.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lock Every Door Review

Microphones and Murders Review

Murder Monday #7 The Parachute Murder