Around the World Reading Challenge



  Why hello there everyone. It's been a while since I've last posted on here, but don't worry I'm back for at least the foreseeable future. Now let's get into the actual reading challenge


  Not a lot of y'all probably know this about me but I love travelling. I've always been a history junkie and I love learning about different cultures. Hopefully I'll be able to say that I've been to every country in the world, but for right now while I slowly set foot in every country; I want to at least read something from every country. So the goal for this challenge is to read at least one book set in every country in the world (or have a main character from that country) AND read a book where the author who is from that country.

 Now that might not make too much sense, but don't worry I'll have my list at the end, but essentially I want to at least read two books about every country in the world. I know that some countries will be immensely harder to find literary works and especially ones that have been translated, but over time, I would like to believe that more and more work will come from everywhere and it will be translated as well. That might just be my slight naivete and hope that the future is brighter than the now.

 So, I simply just went on Wikipedia and found the list of every country and I'm using that as a template. Now just as a side note, I'm not avoiding books because I've already read two from that country, but that's my minimum. Also this challenge has no end date because who knows how long this is going to take me. I might get to the point where I only have a handful of countries left and I just can't find anything and I don't want to just skim through books or just search for the shortest. I would like to have this done by the time I'm 30 (which will give me about 7 years), but it may take me longer. Also another sidenote, I'm only counting a book towards one category; so for example, I only counted Night by Elie Wiesel under a Romanian author and not a book set in Hungary.


So without further ado here is where I'm starting out. (Sorry the categories seem weirdly sounding)

 Countries I have completed:
-Japan
-United States
-United Kingdom


Countries I Need to Read a book from an author from there
- Australia
-Czech Republic
-France
-Ghana
-Iran
-Papua New Guinea
-Russia

Countries I Need to Read a Book set there (or with a main character from there)
-Canada
-India
-Jamaica
-Nigeria
-Romania

Countries I Haven't Read a Book From
-Afghanistan
-Albania
-Algeria
-Andorra
-Angola
-Antigua and Barbuda
-Argentina
-Armenia
-Aruba
-Austria
-Azerbaijan
-The Bahamas
-Bahrain
-Bangladesh
-Barbados
-Belarus
-Belgium
-Belize
-Benin
-Bermuda
-Bhutan
-Bolivia
-Bosnia and Herzegovina
-Botswana
-Brazil
-Brunei
-Bulgaria
-Burkina Faso
-Burundi
-Cambodia
-Cameroon
-Cape Verde
-Central African Republic
-Chad
-Chile
-China
-Cook Islands
-Colombia
-Comoros
-Democratic Republic of the Congo
-Costa Rica
-Cote d'Ivoire
-Croatia
-Cuba
-Republic of Cyprus
-Denmark
-Djibouti
-Dominica
-Dominican Republic
-East Timor
-Ecuador
-Egypt
-El Salvador
-Equatorial Guinea
-Eritrea
-Estonia
-Ethiopia
-Fiji
-Finland
-Farce Islands
-Gabon
-The Gambia
-Georgia
-Germany
-Greece
-Grenada
-Guatemala
-Guinea
-Guinea-Bissau
-Guyana
-Haiti
-Honduras
-Hungary
-Iceland
-Indonesia
-Iraq
-Ireland
-Israel
-Italy
-Jordan
-Kazakhstan
-Kenya
-Kiribati
-Kuwait
-Kyrgyzstan
-Laos
-Latvia
-Lebanon
-Lesotho
-Liberia
-Libya
-Liechtenstein
-Lithuania
-Luxembourg
-Republic of Macedonia
-Madagascar
-Malawi
-Malaysia
-Maldives
-Mali
-Malta
-Marshall Islands
-Mauritania
-Mauritius
-Mexico
-Federated States of Micronesia
-Moldova
-Monaco
-Mongolia
-Montenegro
-Morocco
-Mozambique
-Myanmar
-Namibia
-Nauru
-Nepal
-Netherlands
-New Zealand
-Nicaragua
-Niger
-Niue
-North Korea
-Norway
-Oman
-Pakistan
-Palau
-Palestine
-Panama
-Paraguay
-Peru
-Philippines
-Poland
-Portugal
-Qatar
-Rwanda
-Saint Kitts and Nevis
-Saint Lucia
-Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
-Samoa
-San Marino
-Sao Tome and Principe
-Saudi Arabia
-Senegal
-Serbia
-Seychelles
-Sierra Leone
-Singapore
-Slovakia
-Slovenia
-Solomon Islands
-Somalia
-South Africa
-South Korea
-South Sudan
-Spain
-Sri Lanka
-Sudan
-Suriname
-Swaziland
-Sweden
-Switzerland
-Syria
-Taiwan
-Tajikistan
-Tanzania
-Thailand
-Togo
-Tonga
-Trinidad and Tobago
-Tunisia
-Turkey
-Turkmenistan
-Tuvalu
-Uganda
-Ukraine
-United Arab Emirates
-Uruguay
Uzbekistan
-Vanuatu
-Vatican City
-Venezuela
-Vietnam
-Yemen
-Zambia
-Zimbabwe


Okay... that took awhile. But that is currently the behemoth I have started to tackle. I do want to say that I will not be solely working on this project. From what I've seen a lot of books set in other countries are either historical fiction or contemporaries and I'm not the biggest fan of contemporaries. Also I really love fantasy and unfortunately they usually take place in at least alternate universes so I'm not sure whether I should count it or not. I'm going to try to update this maybe every six months either on this post or new posts, I haven't quite decided.
 But I hope y'all enjoy this post. If any of you are planning on doing this challenge as well definitely let me know in the comments. I might also do some recommendations for books that will help with this challenge. Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lock Every Door Review

Microphones and Murders Review

Murder Monday #7 The Parachute Murder